Handcrafted Cocktails by Molly Wellmann
There’s a cocktail for every time of day in Molly Wellman’s Handcrafted Cocktails, an approachable new guide to classic drinks you can enjoy morning, noon, and night.
• Who wrote it: Molly Wellmann
• Who published it: Betterway Home
• Number of recipes: 100+
• Recipes for right now: Porch Swing, Fig Jig, Smoked Pimm’s Cup, Sherry Cobbler, Am I Blue, Plum Crazy, Lime in the Coconut
• Other highlights: Molly Wellmann is a mixologist and co-owner of Japp’s, Japp’s Annex, Neons, and the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar in Cincinnati, Ohio, where her philosophy is “to balance the sweet, the sour, and the bitter.” In Handcrafted Cocktails she shows readers how to turn fresh fruit, herbs, and spices into simple syrups, liqueurs, cordials, and bitters, and then use these mixers to make pre-Prohibition style cocktails.
A fun aspect of this book is how it’s arranged by drinks for the morning, afternoon, happy hour, with dinner, and after dinner. Very helpful for entertaining! There are also lots of interesting historical tidbits and photos throughout, so you can learn about the history of your drinks, too. Wellmann’s approach is friendly, non-intimidating, and clear, making this a great book for people of all experience levels.
• Who would enjoy this book? home mixologists, people who entertain, cocktail history buffs (especially those interested in Ohio history)
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Handcrafted Cocktails: The Mixologist’s Guide to Classic Drinks for Morning, Noon & Night by Molly Wellmann
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Han)