Got a Project? Enter Our February Jumpstart Contest
Regardless of how big or small it is, we’re looking for your kitchen and cooking projects this month. Is there something you’ve been putting off? Something you know will make your kitchen more lovely, more usable, and more nourishing to you as a cook? Get it done this month, and show us here! You could win a gift certificate from Etsy, and you will definitely inspire thousands of other people like yourself. Read on for more ideas, and to find out more about the projects pictured above.
This year our Jumpstart event is divided up into subjects, just like all our sister sites! Kitchens, home decor, office and technology, kids projects, and greening your home… surely you have a project that fits into one of these areas. It can be small, it can be big. If you can do it in a weekend or two, and you think it has something to inspire others, please share!
Here are some more project ideas for you kitchen-folks:
• Organization: Hanging that pot rack, redoing your cabinets, changing your system for storing spices or grains. New ideas for keeping your fridge organized and healthy, creating a system to plan meals each week.
• Beautification: Paint your cabinets, hang art in the kitchen, put up curtains, make cloth napkins or kitchen towels.
• Serving: Make a new lunchbox or lunchbag, paint an old platter to make it new and beautiful, make a new cakestand out of recycled parts, display your china to make it part of a lovely kitchen.
• Food: Throw a dinner party you’ve been putting off, create a new recipe for something you crave, make pickles or jam, make chicken stock and freeze it, freeze a week of meals. Buy a quarter of a pig or lamb with friends and freeze it. Plan meals for a month, make lunches for a week, learn something new!
These are just the tip of the iceberg, of course! What do YOU need to do in your kitchen to make it healthier, more organized, and more beautiful?
Images and good project ideas we discovered via Flickr, pictured above, clockwise from top:
• Homemade magnetic chalkboard by Flickr user adamknits. Very inexpensive and useful in the kitchen!
• Spice management by Flickr user seangraham. Looks like he used Velcro to attach those spice boxes to the doors! Vanilla and other flavorings too.
• Lacto-fermented relish by Flickr user cafemama. Got a relish, liqueur, jam or pickle you’ve been meaning to try?
(All images licensed for use under Creative Commons)