Good Question: What Can I Do With Morello Cherries?
Katherine has a jar of cherries and needs some help using them up! Want to help?
I was at Trader Joe’s this weekend and on impulse I bought a jar of Dark Morello Cherries in Light Syrup. What do I do with these? The ingredients are: cherries, water, sugar and glucose syrup. Maybe in a sauce for meat or tempeh? Could I flambé them? Help!
Katherine, these cherries are very easy to use. First of all, you can eat them straight out of the jar with a spoon; we highly recommend that. But if you want to do something more sophisticated, here are some ideas.
• Pour out the syrup and reduce by half, then add the cherries and cook until heated through. This makes a great all-purpose cherry sauce for ice cream. You can also add a tablespoon of rum or brandy.
• Serve over rice pudding, chocolate pudding, panna cotta, custard, or another winter dessert.
• Serve over your morning oatmeal or yogurt.
• Drain the juice completely and use the cherries in a crisp or cobbler.
• Drain the juice and put the cherries in a cake.
We aren’t very experienced with flambéing, so we’ll leave that for reader comment. We will say, though, that alcohol would need to be added; you wouldn’t want to try to burn these in their plain sugar syrup.
More ideas for Katherine and her jar of cherries?
(Image: Faith Durand)