First it was Brussels sprouts, and now it's ham. Is this the new bacon? Ed Levine thinks that the "intense, silken essence of meat," as Harold McGee describes Surryano ham, an artisanal cured ham from Missouri, is enough to earn it a place above that beloved porcine product. This plus horseradish heaven, red cabbage salad, and why Serious Eats hates Hell's Kitchen.
• Is Ham the New Bacon? - Taste La Quercia and Surryano and tell us what you think.
• Dinner Tonight: Red Cabbage Salad with Braeburn Apples and Spiced Pecans - A crisp, light dinner salad.
• Serious Heat: Horseradish Heaven - Tips on keeping horseradish's pungent heat, and a recipe for Raw Beet Salad with Horseradish Dressing and Avocado.
• Why I Hate 'Hell's Kitchen' - Seven reasons why Serious Eats already hates this season.
• Olympic Figure Skater Brian Boitano in a New Food Network Series - Brian Boitano! Yes! The figure skater! In a food show.
Previous Good Eats: Shanghai-ish Cold Noodles and Ginger Beer Taste Test
(Image: Serious Eats)