Gluten-Free & Vegan Pie by Jennifer Katzinger
One of the most wonderful things about a pie, I think, is how it can be a showcase for gloriously ripe fruits and vegetables. Jennifer Katzinger seems to agree, and her new cookbook Gluten-Free & Vegan Pie is a lovely collection of seasonally-focused recipes. Not to mention 16 different gluten-free and vegan crust recipes!
• Who wrote it: Jennifer Katzinger
• Who published it: Sasquatch Books
• Number of recipes: 50+
• Recipes for right now: Italian Prune Plum Walnut Cobbler, Apricot and Cherry Crostata, Nectarine and Blackberry Galette, Maple-Roasted Peach and Almond Croustade, Fig Frangipane Tart, Chocolate Cream Pie, Layered Eggplant Tarts with Pistachio Crusts
• Other highlights: The recipes in Gluten-Free & Vegan Pie are mostly arranged according to the calendar, from spring to winter, and include sweet pies, free-form pies, tarts, hand pies, cream pies, and savory pies. There are traditional pies like apple and pumpkin, as well as inspired recipes featuring seasonal produce, nuts, and spices.
No matter what kind of pie you want to make, whether it’s one out of this book or your own creation, the 16 crust recipes will give you a great base. For pastry doughs the primary fat used is refined coconut oil, while the flours and starches include brown rice, tapioca, potato, and arrowroot, and teff. Press-in crust recipes include ingredients like almonds, pecans, canola oil, and olive oil.
Finally, I really enjoy the format of the book. It has a sweet handbook size, a nice and clean layout, and lots of good color photos. I anticipate returning to it season after season.
• Who would enjoy this book? People who are gluten-free, vegan, or avoiding dairy and eggs.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Gluten-Free & Vegan Pie: More than 50 Sweet and Savory Pies to Make at Home by Jennifer Katzinger
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emily Han)