Glazed, Filled, Sugared & Dipped by Stephen Collucci
Have any of you ever made doughnuts at home? Me neither. But it’s on my bucket list and this cookbook from Stephen Collucci might just be the nudge I need. Here are doughnuts done just about every way you can think of, from simple glazed wonders to hazelnut churros served with cajeta dipping sauce. Nudge nudge….nudge nudge.
• Who wrote it: Stephen Collucci
• Who published it: Clarkson Potter
• Number of recipes: About 50
• Recipes for right now: Coconut Cream Doughnuts, Blueberry Crumb Mini-Doughnuts, Sugar and Spice Brioche Doughnut Holes, Almond Cream Doughnuts with Spiced Pear Jam
• Other highlights:
These recipes feel plenty fun and whimsical without tipping over into over-the-top or insanely complicated. They still feel like something I can envision making in my own kitchen. Besides, I firmly believe that doughnuts should be simple affairs: fried dough, a good glaze, maybe some cream or jam to fill inside. Anything more just starts to feel like…not a doughnut.
Baking instructions are included with most recipes for those of us who might prefer that over frying, though I get the impression that the author is a big believer in deep frying over baking. I tend to agree — if I’m really craving a doughnut, then I want a doughnut! Even so, baking might be a good way to test out different flavors to see which ones are worthy of a deep fry.
• Who would enjoy this book? Homer Simpson, doughnut lovers, cooks with a healthy attitude toward deep-frying
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Glazed, Filled, Sugared & Dipped by Stephen Collucci
• Visit the author’s website: Stephen Collucci
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.