The timing couldn't have been worse. Hours before I planned to bake a cake, my partner used the oven to broil some mackerel, and the lingering smell? Not exactly complementary to chocolate. Here's how we cleared the odor, plus a few more solutions for fish and other oven smells.
First wipe up any drips or splatters with a water- or vinegar-moistened towel. Then try one of these odor-eating strategies:
• Fill a baking dish with an inch of water and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and place it in the oven on low heat for about an hour. Check periodically to make sure the water hasn't evaporated.
• Try the above with lemon juice instead of vanilla, or just white vinegar.
• Bake lemon or orange peels in the oven.
• Scrub the oven with a natural, non-toxic solution like baking soda and vinegar.
• Plus a word of advice: skip your oven's self-cleaning function.
Have you tried any of these methods – or another – to get rid of fish and other oven odors?