Get Out of Your Nut Rut! 8 Alternatives to Peanut Butter
Whizzed into smoothies, swirled into yogurt or spread on toast, peanut butter adds a welcome boost of protein and fat to all kinds of breakfasts. But there is a whole world of butters beyond the usual peanut variety, from an irresistible Almond-Joy-inspired butter to a nut-free and nutritious pumpkin-sunflower seed butter. Ready to get out of your nut rut?
If you have a food processor or powerful blender, making nut and seed butters at home is quite simple. Plus you can make it as plain as you like — just nuts, or nuts and a little salt — or personalize it with add-ins like chocolate, flax seeds or shredded coconut. Your morning toast may never be the same again.
• 1 Almond Butter: The alternative nut butter that needs no introduction and is the easiest to find store-bought.
• 2 Pecan Butter (pictured above): A creamy, silky smooth nut butter that is incredibly easy to make at home.
• 3 Hazelnut-Cocoa Butter (Homemade Nutella): A sweet spread for morning toast, minus the palm oil and other additives of the original.
• 4 Chestnut Butter: A mild and creamy nut butter that can be flavored with sweet or savory mix-ins.
• 5 Roasted Pine Nut Butter: An indulgent way to start a special day.
• 6 Almond Joy Butter: All you need to know is that it takes “less than 30 minutes, 5 ingredients and one spoon (or spatula)” to make.
• 7 Coconut Butter: A spread with rich, velvety coconut flavor and texture in every bite.
• 8 Pumpkin-Sunflower-Flax Seed Butter: An addictively satisfying combination of pumpkin and sunflower seeds with the added nutty flavor and healthfulness of flax seeds.
What are your favorite alternatives to peanut butter?
Related: New and Nourishing Nut Butters