Gallery: Holiday Appetizers from The Kitchn
Click through for a full gallery of some of our favorite holiday appetizers and hors d’oeuvre.
Holiday Appetizer Recipes
All of these are not too fussy, but still fresh – each with a new twist on tired basics. Mix up the appetizer tray this holiday season and try something new. Listed in the same order as the photos above.
• Pistachio and Chive Goat Cheese on Puff Pastry Wafers – Easy and beautifully impressive. (Anything piped out of a pastry bag is impressive, in our opinion.)
• Sweet Butternut Squash and Coconut Jam – Serve with light goat cheese on pepper wafers.
• Crab Apples Poached in Sweet Wine – Bright, unusual, and so easy.
• Butternut Squash and Parmesan Dip – Like a cheese dip, but much better for you. (And so delicious.)
• Roasted Tomatoes with Shrimp and Feta – Shrimp and cocktail sauce always make an appearance at our uncle’s Thanksgiving feast; this is a hot version that could double as a side dish.
• Cipollini and Mushroom Tart – Small wedges whet the appetite for dinner.
• Fresh Shell Bean and Sage Spread – Another dip, with a fresh herb that also shows up in most turkey stuffings.
• Savory Blue Cornmeal Griddle Cakes – Truly American – both corn and griddle cakes make a lovely nod to our heritage on Thanksgiving.
• Cinnamon-Spiked Tomatoes – An easy topping for cheese and crackers.
• Cheddar Olives – Way too addictive – make sure you make plenty!
• Spicy Oven-Roasted Chickpeas – Like popcorn, these are a salty, not-too-filling treat that you can’t stop eating. Try with a little powdered ginger or curry.
• Juno’s Pregnant Dates – Created for last year’s Oscars party, these bacon-wrapped dates are a very indulgent and popular appetizer for the holidays.
• Delicata Squash and Gruyere Dip – Another squash dip. We like to serve this one inside the Delicata rind for pretty presentation.
• Baked Goat Milk Brie with Cranberry Sauce – Our personal favorite holiday appetizer. Bake Brie with a little leftover cranberry sauce – tada! Instant popularity.
• Blue Cheese and Rosemary Cheese Ball – A fresh update for the tired old cheese ball. This one has pungent blue cheese, toasted walnuts, and fragrant rosemary – rolled up in poppy seeds.
What are your favorite holiday appetizers and hors d’oeuvre?