From the Files: Recipes that Freeze Well
Many of you have been asking for more recipes that freeze well, and we’re happy to deliver! Making big batches of food and freezing the leftovers is a good way to capitalize on abundant seasonal ingredients, reduce waste, and save time down the road. Below the jump, we have some tips on freezing whole dishes and a round-up of our favorite freezable recipes from the archives.
Tips for Freezing Pre-made Foods:
• Dishes based on grains, meats, and/or vegetables freeze very well.
• Dishes with milk and other dairy don’t tend to freeze very well. If you’ll be freezing all or part of a recipe includes dairy, stop cooking and freeze it just before you would add the dairy. Fortunately, the dairy is added toward the end of most recipes, so it’s a simple matter to add it in once defrosted.
• Freeze food in serving-sized portions. Not only is this convenient, but smaller portions thaw more quickly.
• Fill the container that you’re going to freeze. This prevents freezer burn and saves space in your freezer.
• Don’t forget to label everything! After some time in the freezer, it might not be so easy to tell the vegetarian soup apart from the bolognese sauce!
What are your favorite dishes to freeze?