You may have noticed that we're not really big on dieting in the count-your-calories, watch-the-fat sense around here. But we do feel that there are times when a period of eating lighter meals helps us feel refreshed and healthy, especially after a period of more indulgent eating like during the holidays or after a long vacation (or both!). Here are some of our favorite recipes from The Kitchn archives that we go to when we want clean flavors, nutritious ingredients, and a fresh start.
• Quinoa-Stuffed Sweet Dumpling Squash - Feel free to swap the quinoa for any grain you have in the cupboard and throw in whatever vegetables are in the fridge.
• Seared Char with Asian Kale - Simple, fresh flavors with a nice dose of vitamin D!
• Roasted Vegetables on Creamy Polenta - Oven-roasting concentrates the flavor in just about any fresh vegetable, making them rich and satisfying.
• Vegetarian Báhn Mì with Lemongrass Tofu - Perfect for a light lunch on the go.
• Pasta with Mint Pesto Peas and Ricotta Salata - We love the bright flavors in this simple pasta dish.
• Big Green Salad with Shallots, Chicken, Smoked Almonds, Goat Cheese, and Dates - If you're craving a salad, this one has it all!
• Very Simple Dal Palak - Indian lentil soups like this one make a perfect light meal on a cold afternoon.
• Wheat Berry Salad with Blood Oranges, Feta, and Red Onion Vinaigrette - Nutty wheat berries make an excellent contrast to the vibrant flavors of orange, feta, and red onion.
• Smoky Scallops with Fennel and Tomato - Scallops are easy to make at home and have a delicate sweet flavor that pairs well with a lot of fresh vegetables.
• Italian Marrow Beans with Tuna - Crunchy celery comes together with tender white beans and flaky tuna in this light salad.
• Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Fontina - Grain salads are so versatile. We love them as a main course for lunch or a side dish with dinner's main course.
• Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup - This soup is comforting and satisfying, but won't weight you down.
• Stuffed Chicken Breast with Grapes, Hazelnuts, and Parmesan - Try this paired with a bed of greens toss with a spritz of lemon!
• Halibut, Spinach, and Tomatoes in Foil Packets - This technique is such easy and simple - not to mention delicious - way to cook fish at home!
• Quick Udon Noodle Soup - Just a few simple ingredients make this soup satisfying.
What are your favorite recipes for lighter eating?
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)