Ever wondered what brining really does? Or been curious about the Maillard reaction? Want to get the scoop on nitrates in our food? For answers to these questions and more, read on...
Beef and Pork:
• Dry Aging vs. Wet Aging Beef - Is one better than the other? You decide!
• How Meat is Cured - Salt is the magic ingredient when it comes to curing.
• What is Marbling - The amount of intramuscular fat can be a good indication of flavor and texture.
• Nitrites and Their Role in Preserving Meat - Do nitrites really deserve their villainous reputation?
• Tryptophan and Post-Thanksgiving Sleepiness - Just a myth or is there actual science behind the Thanksgiving food coma?
• The Difference Between White Meat and Dark Meat - It's all about giving the chicken a work-out.
• Cooking with Marinades - Marinating meat helps to make meat tender and infuse it with great flavor!
• How Does Brining Work? - When marinating isn't quite enough, brines get the job done.
• Understanding the Maillard Reaction - We can thank the Maillard reaction for giving many of our dishes great depth of flavor!
• Why Meat Needs to Rest - Ever wonder why recipes say to let meat rest after you pull it from the oven?
• Why Tougher Meats Make Good Braises - You're not just being frugal - tougher cuts really are better for braising!
Have a question about the science of meat that didn't get answered here? Let us know!