Flavored Butters by Lucy Vaserfirer
Butter makes everything better. So it stands to reason that flavored butter would make everything even more better. Times infinity. Judging by the butters Lucy Vaserfirer offers in this new cookbook, I’d say this logic definitely holds true. Chipotle butter for your grilled steak? Honey-orange butter for your muffin? We have just entered buttery nirvana.
• Who wrote it: Lucy Vaserfirer
• Who published it: Harvard Common Press
• Number of recipes: About 50
• Recipes for right now: Dill, Lemon, and Garlic Butter, Fennel Butter, Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Butter, Miso-Scallion Butter, Orange-Honey Butter, Maple-Cinnamon Butter, Coffee Butter
• Other highlights: I never realized butter was so plain before this book. Just reading through the titles, my mind was filled with the ways I could perk up a simple dish of steamed vegetables or pan-seared fish. Making compound butters is such an easy thing to do and the flavor payoff is huge.
This is a handy little book to have when it comes time to throw a dinner party. Adding a little pat of flavored butter to the each dish just before you set it on the table is one of those things that makes a homemade meal feel instantly gourmet. This said, I like Lucy Vaserfirer’s idea of making several compound butters and keeping them in the freezer for everyday use.
• Who would enjoy this book? People who love to throw dinner parties, caterers, anyone looking for new ways to make dinner interesting
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Flavored Butters by Lucy Vaserfirer
• Visit the author’s website: Lucy Vaserfirer
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)