A friend of ours recently confessed that she loves rosemary, but finds that it overpowers most dishes. We totally agree. But when a recipe gets the balance just right, that fresh pine-y rosemary flavor really sings. In her honor, here are a few favorite ways to use this aromatic and surprisingly versatile herb.
We find that rosemary often does best when it gets to be the star. Even so, using it requires a careful hand so that its piney pungency stays balanced instead of tipping into bitterness.
THE SAVORY SIDE
• Totally Tender Meatballs with Rosemary from The Kitchn - This is our favorite meatball recipe, thanks in large part to the balance of rosemary and garlic.
• Garlic and Herb Roast Tenderloin from The Kitchn - Rosemary holds up to roasting very well, plus pairing it with pork is magical.
• Crisp Rosemary Flatbread from Gourmet - The combination of crackling hot bread, olive oil, and rosemary is impossible resist.
• White Beans with Tomatoes and Rosemary from Martha Stewart - Just imagining this rosemary-infused dish is making our mouths water.
• Root Vegetable and Mushroom Pie with Rosemary Biscuit Topping from Epicurious - Ultimate winter comfort food.
THE SWEET SIDE
• Rosemary-Walnut Brown Butter Cookies from The Kitchn - Brown butter tempers the strong rosemary flavor for the perfect treat.
• Buttermilk Rosemary Ice Cream from the Kitchn - We love the tanginess of the buttermilk against the soft rosemary in this recipe.
• Orange Rosemary Scones from Food & Wine - These make the house smell so good!
• Rosemary Olive Oil Cake from 101 Cookbooks - A slice of this sounds like a good afternoon snack.
• Green Grapes Sautéd in Honey and Rosemary with Almonds from Saveur - Served over vanilla ice cream, this dish is the perfect end to a holiday dinner party.
What are your favorite recipes with rosemary?
(Image: Mikkel Vang/Gourmet)