As much as we adore a steaming pot of freshly cooked rice, we've always had trouble mustering much enthusiasm once it crosses into the land of leftovers. Sure, there's fried rice, which can be delicious with the addition of an egg or tofu or kimchee, but we must admit that we usually find ourselves pushing the cold mass of grains farther back into the refrigerator. In an effort to be more frugal and conscientious, we're looking for inspiration for our leftovers. Here are a few ideas; please share more in the comments!
1. Rice Pudding
We love cardamom and pistachio rice pudding at Indian and Afghani restaurants. Why don't we ever make it at home?
- Recipe inspiration: Indian Rice Pudding, from Alton Brown
2. Soups & Stews
A handful or two of leftover rice can add texture and volume to an existing soup recipe. We're thinking rice could also be the basis for a quick, light soup with any seasonal greens, vegetable broth, and a little garlic.
- Recipe inspiration: Lemony Rice Soup with Ham and Spring Vegetables, from Bon Appétit
We've added leftover pasta to our frittatas. How about rice?
- Recipe inspiration: Spicy Black-Eyed Pea and Rice Frittata, from Gourmet
Rice + cheese + breadcrumbs. Fried. Not much more needs to be said.
- Recipe inspiration: Arancini recipe roundup, from The Kitchn
5. Vegetable Rolls
Although we usually make rolls with traditional sushi rice, why not make healthy snacks and lunches by wrapping our leftover brown rice and vegetables in toasted sheets of nori?
- Recipe inspiration: How To Make Gimbap: Korean Seaweed and Rice Rolls from The Kitchn
Any other ideas?
Related: How Do You Reheat Rice?