I was a reader on this site long before I started writing for it. The Kitchn is still where I come to learn clever new kitchen tricks and find inspiration for my weeknight meals. These posts are just a few of the dozens of posts I've bookmarked and e-mailed to friends this year.
My Favorite Posts from The Kitchn
- How to Select the Best Produce: Fruit and How to Select the Best Produce: Vegetables - I'm that person. The one you see in the grocery store inspecting each apple and weighing potatoes in her hands before putting anything in her basket. These guides are perfect for neurotic produce shoppers like me.
- Strange Symbiosis: The Fig and The Wasp - My jaw literally dropped as I read this post. I love that this kind of thing exists! This post also became my topic of choice for dinner parties in the weeks that followed. (I'm a super-fun dinner party guest!)
- Kitchen Tour: Yummyclare's Kooky Kitchen - Among all the kitchen tours that we've done on this site, this one has stuck with me the most. I wish I could explore every nook and cranny in this playful kitchen.
- Weekend Meditation: The Right Way - This post went straight to my heart. Learning that there is no right way has been hard for me to learn - in both my life and my cooking. Every time I find myself agonizing over a pasta sauce or obsessing over the perfection of my bread crust, I take a breath and remind myself of the message in this post.
- Smoked Turkey and Dinner for 12: Our Thanksgiving Report - Faith and I cooked dinner together this past Thanksgiving, and it was one of the top events of my year. We took chances on a few of the dishes, encouraged each other along, and had a blast the whole time. I'm convinced that everyone should throw a major dinner party with their best cooking buddy at least once.
My Favorite Posts from Around the Web
- Homemade Ginger Ale from Crumpets and Cakes - I wasn't kidding when I wrote that this ginger ale is an epiphany. It is so good (especially with a little gin...). Keep your eye out for lots of homemade soda recipes from me this next year!
- How to Make Weapons Grade Ratatouille by Francis Lam from Salon.com - I always love reading articles by Francis Lam. His writing is simultaneously irreverent, witty, and completely spot-on. This article was one of my favorites this year, and the ratatouille really will make you swoon.
- It's My Duty: Fennel Ice Cream from Orangette - Molly and her blog Orangette are another favorite of mine. Her posts are like a cup of warm tea after a long afternoon. This one on fennel ice cream made me especially happy, and I almost (almost) licked the screen as I read it.
- Basque Countryside and Family from Canelle et Vanille - This post made me want to jump on a plane and find a family in the Basque countryside to adopt me. The food in all of Aran's posts looks so bright and intriguing, and I love her candid shots of the people and animals she sees on her travels.
- Springtime Brunch from Sunday Suppers - I get a lot of my inspiration for table decorations, dinner party themes, and general party ambience from this series. This one for a simple and fresh springtime dinner was particularly inspiring.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)