Editor’s Choice: Emma’s Favorite Posts of 2008 Best of 2008
First up, Emma Christensen, author of such favorites as that post about DIY microwaved potato chips.
• How to Pick a Potato – This was one of those things that I didn’t even realize I needed to know until I read it. And here I was always wondering why my mashed potatoes turned out so differently every time…
• Slow Cooked Bolognese Sauce – Of all the recipes I developed or tested over the past year, this was my favorite. It’s just so good. Period! Try it with a favorite red wine sometime, too. This recipe also opened my eyes to the idea of reducing dairy to make a creamier and richer-tasting sauce.
• Trend Watch: Is the Cupcake Fad Nearing an End? – I loved this post for the comments. Everyone chimed in with such strong opinions on cupcakes and also such fantastic ideas for the next big food trend! They were so much fun to read.
• What Every Pantry Needs: Sweet and What Every Pantry Needs: Savory – These are two posts that I reference almost more than any other post on the site. There are lots of resources on what equipment every kitchen needs, but not so many on the food basics like this. I go back to these posts a lot for my own reference, and I forward them on to friends who want to get more into cooking.
• Entertaining: Make-Ahead Tips for Dinner Parties – I’m an ambitious cook and an anxious hostess, which is not really such an ideal combination most of the time. Not only did this post give me some good tips on easier entertaining, but I also felt like it gave me permission to just RELAX! I read it and thought, “Oh. I don’t have to do EVERYthing? Really? Huh.”
• Cocktail Inspiration: How to Infuse Vodka – I saw this post and immediately thought, “Must. Do. Immediately.” I did indeed do immediately, and now I’m hooked! Recently, I’ve started experimenting with infusing other alcohols – fig and vanilla infused bourbon, anyone?