Some friends recently presented me with their dilemma: they want a table in their kitchen, but the only good space for one is a narrow bit of wall between two doorways. My first thought was to start looking for a square bar table.
The bar tables we've seen come in two sorts. There are the nearly chest-high tables that require bar stools. And then there are the smaller two-person café tables. The higher tables tend to create a sense of space without making us feel crowded in a small kitchen, but it's also nice to be able to sit down at a normal-sized table for breakfast. Either way works - take your pick!
Here are four of each kind that we're hoping fit the bill for our friends' kitchen.
Square High-Top Bar Tables:
• Winsome's Parkland 3-Piece Square High/Pub Table Set, $188 from Amazon
• Billsta Bar Table, $120 from IKEA
• Black Bar Table with Two Stools, $240 from Target
• Jofran Rubberwood Counter Height Kitchen Table, $164 from Bar Table Showroom
Square Café Tables
• Moravia Table (technically rectangular, but darn close to square!), $524 from Design Within Reach
• Parsons Dining Table, $299 from West Elm
• Span Espresso Gateleg Table, $299 from Crate & Barrel
• Norden Dining Table, $79 from IKEA
Have you found a small square table for your kitchen that you love?
Related: Kitchen Design: Café Style at Home