How to Build an Easy (But Still Impressive!) Snack Board
The holiday season is behind us, but the gatherings and get-togethers are just getting started. With things like awards show season and the big game coming up, there are plenty of winter entertaining moments ahead. What’s the ultimate entertaining move? A snack board! Part cheese plate, part hors d’oeuvre, a snack board is an easy crowd-pleaser no matter the occasion. It also happens to be pretty darn Instagramable, which never hurts.
While the concept is simple, assembling a snack board can be intimidating for the uninitiated. Classic bites like cheeses, meats, and crackers are a great place to start, but the real fun is in the additions; things like baked hors d’oeuvres and a couple of Hidden Valley® Ranch dips really tie the whole thing together. Here’s everything you need to know to build the ultimate snack board.
Where to Begin
First, you’ll need a board to pile all your snacks on. If you have a fancy cheese board, that’s perfect. But if you don’t, there’s no need to run out and buy one. A large cutting board works perfectly, as does a large platter.
What Snacks to Buy
The secret to a snack board that’s sure to get your guests excited? Variety. For every 10 guests, pick at least two or three items from each category below. You’ll find everything you need at your local grocery store:
- Cheese: Try a sliced block of cheddar, a wedge of Manchego, a wheel of soft goat cheese or brie, or bite-sized crumbles of Parmesan.
- Bread and crackers: Grab some toasted baguette slices, sea salt crackers, rye crisps, or your favorite pita chips.
- Fruits and veggies: Opt for a mix of both dried and fresh like dried apricots, dried figs, celery sticks, carrot sticks, endive, grapes, and fresh figs.
- Charcuterie: Any kind of thinly sliced salami is perfect, as is prosciutto.
- Salty or pickled bites: Place small bowls of olives, sweety drop peppers, or cornichons on your board — and don’t forget an empty small bowl for the olive pits!
- Prepared frozen hors d’oeuvres: Warm up a couple of your favorite frozen appetizers like pigs in a blanket and mini mushroom tarts.
- The perfect dips: Finally, for your centerpieces, prepare at least two dips. We made Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Spinach Dip and Buffalo Chicken Dip — two surefire crowdpleasers every time. They’re fun, flavorful, and taste great with everything listed above.
How to Tie It All Together With Dips
Your guests will have trouble straying from your snack board if you place a couple of dips in the center. With Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dips Mix as their base, these dips are packed with zesty flavor and only need a couple of minutes to come together.