Here's my motto for backyard BBQs: Let the sides be many, and let them be simple. The main dish might be an impressive rack of saucy ribs, but a generous spread of salad, slaws, and summery sides is always the hit of the party. From summertime classics like corn on the cob and potato salad to tangy slaw and pasta salad, here are 20 easy side dishes to serve up for BBQs all season long.
There are certain well-loved classics that everyone expects to see at summer BBQs and cookouts — I'm talking about sides like corn on the cob, potato salad, and baked beans. They're the staple sides you can never go wrong with.
- How To Grill the Best Corn on the Cob
- How To Make Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- How To Make the Best Classic Potato Salad
- How To Make Better Classic Tuna Macaroni Salad
- The Easiest Tangy Cucumber Salad
Come summer, there is no such thing as too many salads. Right now we are inundated with the most amazing array of fresh veggies and herbs. Turning them into a colorful salad is the simplest side for any meal, a particular winner for BBQ's, and it usually means not having to turn on the oven or stove.
- Light & Easy Broccoli Salad
- Salt and Vinegar Cucumbers
- The Ultimate Grilled Zucchini Salad
- Spinach & Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Avocado Caprese Salad
- Minted Summer Couscous with Watermelon and Feta
Where there are summer BBQs, there is a crunchy slaw in the spread of side dishes. Slaws are all about simplicity. They come together with few ingredients, and are even better when you can make them a bit in advance.
- Sesame Ginger Slaw
- Tangy Carrot Slaw
- Cilantro-Jalapeño Jicama Slaw
- Cabbage Apple Slaw with Honey-Lime Dressing
The beauty of pasta salad is that it's a welcoming vehicle for just about any kind of veggies, cheese, meat, and dressing. Get a head start by cooking the pasta a day in advance and stashing it in the fridge.