Whether floating on top of soup or nestled into a chicken casserole, dumplings are a classic winter comfort food to me. We're talking about those bready, fluffy, herb-filled dumplings the size of meatballs. A few of those in a dish and I'm a goner. Just take a look at these recipes.
The best thing about these dishes is the way the dumplings start to melt into their surroundings. The dish turns thick and creamy almost magically. Meanwhile, the dumplings themselves are absorbing liquid and becoming soft and chewy. This combination of textures might not be for everyone, but for me, it's instant comfort.
FROM THE KITCHN:
FROM THE WEB:
• Chicken with Cornmeal Dumplings from Martha Stewart
• Beef Ale Stew with Green Onion Buttermilk Dumplings from Sunset Magazine
• Beef Goulash with Dumplings from Simply Recipes
• Lamb Chili with Masa Harina Dumplings from Epicurious
• Matzo Ball Soup from Smitten Kitchen
What's your favorite dish with dumplings?
(Image: Martha Stewart)