Don’t Splurge On a Pan You Use Once a Year: 5 Roasters Under $50
With Thanksgiving a little less than three weeks away, it’s time to start talking roasters. For the most part, roasting pans come out of our cupboards once or twice a year for the big holiday dinners, so given that we’d rather not spend $150 on one. Instead, here are five budget-friendly picks that’ll get the job done.
What To Look For
The main thing you often sacrifice going with a more affordable roasting pan is weight and thickness. High-end roasting pans usually boast better construction and more even heating throughout, while super cheap pans feel light, flimsy, and are prone to hot spots and warping.
Here we’re looking for something in between: heavy enough to make gravy on the stovetop and to withstand warping, and large enough to accommodate a decent sized turkey. It should be under $50 but better than the super cheap $10 options.
Other useful features to look for in a roasting pan:
- Stationary handles (not foldable): As Emma, who has a pan with foldable handles says, “It seems like that would be awesome, but it’s so hard to get them to unfold when you’re wearing heavy oven mitts and are standing in front of the hot oven trying to pick up a huge turkey.” This is a personal preference, though, and a feature you may have to give up in favor of your preferred price.
- Around 16 inches long: A roaster that measures at least 16 inches is a good size to go for. This will fit a 15 to 18 lb turkey. However, note that the measurement in the product title usually refers to the interior space. The total measurement including the handles is often larger than this, so be sure to measure your oven before you buy to make sure the pan will fit!
Our 5 Budget-Friendly Roasting Pan Picks
- Martha Stewart Collection Stainless Steel 15-inch Roaster with Roasting Rack, $30 at Macy’s (on sale)
- Calphalon Hard-Anodized Nonstick Roaster with Rack, $49.99 from Target (Faith’s top pick!)
- Oneida Nonstick Roasting Pan with Rack, $4o from Amazon
- Le Chef Professional Nonstick 17.5-inch Roasting Pan with Rack, $37 from Overstock
- Granite Ware Oval Roaster, $30 from Wayfair
What roasting pan are you using this year?
Updated from a post originally published 11.6.2013.