DIY Deli Meats: 9 Recipes to Make at Home
Don’t like those plastic-packaged, mass-produced logs of deli meat that they sell at the grocery stores? Me neither. I’m thinking of trying my hand at some deli-style roast beef or even homemade bologna, starting with these recipes.
1. Perfect Roast Beef from Saveur – This slow-cooked roast beef seems like one of the easiest ways to ease into making our own deli meat.
2. Weekend Pot Roast from The Kitchn – This crock-pot version of roast beef is an even easier way to make your own sandwich meat.
3. Paté de Campagne from Bon Appétit – Traditionally served as an appetizer, this paté would also make an excellent sandwich spread.
5. Big Daddy’s Homemade Pastrami from The Food Network – A good recipe to make on a lazy Sunday afternoon, and we’d enjoy it all week long!
6. Homemade Salami from Just a Pinch – This isn’t cured for long storage like traditional salami, but we have no doubt it makes a mean sandwich.
7. Homemade Chicken “Ham” from Just Bento – A very interesting Japanese cooking method gives chicken a similar texture to cold-cut deli meat.
8. Real Homemade Bologna from All Recipes – This recipe sounds closer to salami than the bologna we see in the cases, but delicious all the same.
9. Baked Country Ham from Leite’s Culinaria – And finally, thin-sliced ham the way it should be.
Have you ever tried making your own lunch meat?