Cooking Korean: Ojingo Bokum
If you’ve ever wanted to learn to cook squid, here’s a good introductory recipe. Ojingo bokum is a dish of sauteed squid and vegetables in a spicy sauce. The flavors are savory and the dish is very filling.
Here’s the recipe, courtesy of RecipeZaar:
Korean Ojingo Bokum
* 2 small whole squid
* 4 green onions or spring onions
* 2 large hot green peppers (JalapeÃƒ o or hot green chili)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon pure toasted sesame oil
* 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed
* 1 large carrot (optional)
* 1/2 white onion (optional) or yellow onion (optional)
* 1/4 small green cabbage (optional)
* 3 large mushrooms (optional)
* 1 head broccoli (optional)
Stir Fry Sauce
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
* 1 teaspoon rice wine
* 2 tablespoons red chili paste (gochujang)
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 6 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled
* water, as needed
* 1 tablespoon fine ground red chili pepper (optional)
1. Stir Fry Sauce.
2. Cut ginger into smaller pieces.
3. Put ginger, garlic, rice wine, and soy sauce into blender, then blend into smooth paste (add just a bit of water if needed to aid in blending).
4. Mix blended paste and all other sauce ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for fifteen minutes. Thin with water as needed to make a “pourable” paste.
5. Clean the squid. (Your fish market should be able to clean the squid for you) Wash well in cold water.
6. Slit the squid body from the triangle (where the “wings” and body meet) to the head cavity, open and flatten.
7. Cut into 1/4 inch wide strips from the “head” to the “tail”.
8. Cut the strips into about 2 inch sections.
9. Slit the tentacle ring, flatten, and cut each tentacle free from the others. Cut tentacles into about 2 inch sections.
10.Wash peppers in cold water and remove stems. Cut in half from top to bottom, then slice each half into three or four slivers from top to bottom.
11. Trim top and bottom of green onions, wash in cold water, then cut into about 2 inch lengths.
12. Optional Vegetables (Use any or all).
13. Cut onion in half from to bottom. Slice 1/2 the onion, from top to bottom, into about 1/4 inch wide slices.
14. Remove and discard outer cabbage leaves, then cut in half from top to bottom. Cut one section in half again, from top to bottom. Slice into about 1/2 inch wide slices.
15. Trim top and bottom of carrot, and wash in cold water. Cut into strips about the same size as the squid strips.
16. Wash and thin slice mushrooms.
17. Separate broccoli florets and wash in cold water.
19. Preheat a large stir fry pan over high heat for about 30 seconds. Add cooking oil then add in the following order, about 30 to 45 seconds apart.
20. (Broccoli and carrot, stir fry about 40 seconds if used).
21. (Onion slices, stir fry 30 seconds if used).
22. Squid, green onion, (and cabbage if used), stir fry 30 seconds.
23. Sauce and pepper, stir fry 2 minutes.
24. Remove from heat and add sesame oil, toss and serve garnished with sesame seed.
Serve with Korean rice and some barley tea.