Cooking Confidence by Joanne Weir
Raise your hand if you’re resolving to keep your fridge stocked with fresh ingredients and cook more meals at home this coming year. You’re not alone! However, if you’re feeling slightly intimidated by your resolution, Joanne Weir is here to help. Her latest cookbook is Cooking Confidence, and it will coach you through everything you need to put a fabulous dinner on the table.
• Who wrote it: Joanne Weir
• Who published it: Taunton Press
• Number of recipes: 100
• Recipes for right now: Baked Crepes with Creamy Mushrooms and Pecorino; 20-Minute Spinach and Gruyere Souffle; Cheesy Spaghetti Pie; Lamb, Barley, and White Bean Stew; Cassoulet with Chicken Sausages; Warm Moroccan Chicken and Sweet Potato Salad; Clams with Chorizo and Orange; Tortilla Soup with Pork Meatballs, Tortillas, and Cheddar
• Other highlights: Teaching new cooks the ropes is a balance of giving them the (soemtimes boring) basics and keeping them inspired. Cooking Confidence does this beautifully: Joanne Weir hooks you in with a truly mouth-watering recipe and then proceeds to explain each step in clear, simple language that leaves no room for confusion. You barely realize that you are, in fact, learning how to cook and gaining confidence with each recipe.
I love all of Joanne’s little tips, like freezing bacon for a few minutes to make it easier to slice and peeling ginger with a spoon. These are the kinds of tips that one gathers over years in the kitchen and can be invaluable for a new cook learning their way around a recipe. She also includes notes on ingredients, unfamiliar techniques, and shopping advice, strategically-placed within the recipes just when you start to wonder about them.
• Who would enjoy this book? New cooks, cooks looking for some new dinner-time inspiration
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Cooking Confidence: Dinner Made Simple by Joanne Weir
• Visit the author’s website: Joanne Weir
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)