Communal Platter: 9 Big, Lovely Wood Planks for the Table
I have this obsession right now with huge boards on the table — long, rough-cut planks to serve food, hold candles, and take the place of honor in the center of the table. Here are a few favorites from Etsy — what would you do if you had a big platter like these?
As you can probably tell from this list, my heart is given to the boards at Gray Works Design. They make these huge, gorgeous “plattes” or footed platters that can run the length of a table. What a great way to serve dinner — place bread, cheese, meats, along a platter and let everyone serve themselves. Or simply arrange candles and flowers. There’s something about the spirit of one giant communal platter that I really love. These are all quite spendy, unfortunately, but maybe I will save my pennies and serve polenta off a giant board a few years hence!
Also, not all of these pieces are simply decorative; most can also serve as a chopping block in the kitchen.
• 1 Bountiful Harvest Cutting Board in Rustic Salvaged Black Walnut – From Gray Works. Sold, but any of their pieces can be reproduced.
• 2 Lusciously Long Footed Platte – Cutting Board in Russet Red Colorful Cherry – $200 from Gray Works. I love the organic shape of this one.
• 3 Harvest Bowl – Large, Rustic, Hand Carved – $130 from Gray Works. Not quite a platter, but in the same spirit.
• 4 Cafe Cutting Board in Black Walnut – $50 from Gray Works. A smaller version, and more affordable.
• 5 Local Bounty, Extra Thick Chopping Board/Buffet Server – $315 from Red Onion Works. Another huge board from another great craftsman on Etsy.
• 6 Extra Thick, Natural Edge Cutting Board – $96 from Red Onion Works. Another smaller board that would still make a great centerpiece.
• 7 Fir, Walnut, and Purpleheart Serving Tray – $127 from BP Custom Woodworks. Another beautiful piece of craftsmanship.
• 8 Black walnut chopping block/serving tray – $72 from M. Javidi and Son Woodworking. The turned feet give this board a little something special.
• 9 Birds eye maple chopping block – $79 from M. Javidi and Son Woodworking. Very handsome.
Do you use big boards on the table at all? Ever seen it done well in a restaurant or someone else’s home?
(Images: Gray Works Design; Red Onion Works; BP Custom Woodworks; M. Javidi and Son Woodworking)