Comida Latina: An Illustrated Cookbook by Marcella Kriebel
I am completely and utterly enchanted by this book. There is just something so personal and intimate about these hand-drawn and lettered recipes — it’s like receiving a letter from a dear friend who’s been living abroad. Every page is so colorful and vibrant, you can almost smell the spices.
• Who wrote it: Marcella Kriebel
• Who published it: Independently published
• Number of recipes: Over 60
• Recipes for right now: Chile Rellenos, Fish Tacos, Posole, Gazpacho, Salsa Verde, Chile Lime Corn on the Cob with Queso Fresco, Chile Cheese Corn Bread, Watermelon Basil Paletas
• Other highlights: Marcella Kriebel certainly takes us on a culinary trek all around Latin America in this book — from Mexican tamales to Ecuadorian potato pancakes and Colombian coconut rice with shrimp to a Peruvian fish soup! It’s clear that these are her favorite recipes gathered from many trips to South American and Central America. I love the little details that Marcella tucks into the recipes, like using a bowl as a mold to make a perfect mound of rice and notes on which plants are native to various parts of South America.
The recipes themselves are divided into Plato Principal (main dishes); Salsas, Salads & Sides, Para Tomar (to drink), and Desserts, along with a section at the beginning describing potentially unfamiliar ingredients and techniques. I was happy to see Marcella’s emphasis on Mexican cheeses throughout the book, which are an essential part of many Latin American dishes but that often seem to get overlooked. She also keeps the recipes fairly simple — these are the kinds of base recipes that we can learn from and use as a jumping off point for other flavors and ingredients.
A lovely book with lovely, tantalizing recipes. My cookbook shelf just got a little prettier.
• Who would enjoy this book? Anyone who loves Latin American cuisine and is looking for a book of basic recipes. This would also make a beautiful gift for any cook or world traveler.
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Comida Latina: An Illustrated Cookbook by Marcella Kriebel
• Visit the author’s website: Marcella Kriebel
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)