More than 5 Million Bottles of Fabuloso Cleaners Are Being Recalled Due to Potential Inclusion of Harmful Bacteria
In the age of social media, lies seem to run around the world faster than the truth can lace its shoes. Knowing this, reputational damage is something corporations attempt to avoid at all costs. When the rumors are true, however, the best way to mitigate the situation is to be direct, open, and honest with the public as quickly as possible. That’s precisely what cleaning staple Fabuloso is doing in response to the recent bacterial contamination of their product.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), over 5 million bottles of the multi-purpose cleaner have been recalled due to a potential bacterial growth resulting from an error in the formula during the manufacturing of the batch in question. As a spokesperson for the Colgate-Palmolive Company reveals, an essential preservative was not added at the appropriate volume during the creation of the formation of the affected bottles. And as a result, a dangerous bacteria typically found in water and soil called Pseudomonas aeruginosa began to grow.
The alert, which was issued on Wednesday, noted that the bottles in question were manufactured between December 14, 2022 and January 23, 2023 and were sold at a variety of nationwide retailers such as Amazon, Dollar General, Home Depot, Sam’s Club, and Walmart. The first eight digits of the recalled products’ lot codes are 2348US78 through 2365US78 and 3001US78 through 3023US78. The voluntarily recalled cleaners include the following:
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent (22 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent (56 fluid ounces, 128 fluid ounces and 169 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent (210 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Professional All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser, Lavender Scent (1 gallon)
Refreshing Lemon Scent
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Refreshing Lemon Scent (22 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent (33.8 fluid ounces, 56 fluid ounces, 128 fluid ounces and 169 fluid ounces)
Passion of Fruits Scent
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent (33.8 fluid ounces, 56 fluid ounces, 128 fluid ounces, 169 fluid ounces)
Spring Fresh Scent
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner Bleach Alternative 2X Concentrated Formula, Spring Fresh Scent (56 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Professional All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser, Ocean Scent (1 gallon)
It’s important to note that this bacteria can be harmful if inhaled, exposed to your eyes, or seeped through a cut in the skin. People with pre-existing conditions that weaken the immune system are particularly at risk, along with those with lung issues or external medical devices.
If you discover you have one of the above-mentioned bottles, the company advises disposing of it immediately. Refund requests can also be made by calling the company at 1-855-703-0166 or submitting a request through their website.
This isn’t the first time Pseudomonas aeruginosa has been an issue. Just last year, Clorox recalled multiple Pine-Sol cleaning products for the same reason. Between this new recall and both of this month’s listeria outbreaks, this has impacted over 400 products and more than 50,000 pounds of meat.
Wondering what other recalls and public health alerts have been issued lately from your favorite brands? Check out this page that’s updated regularly to stay in the know.