Chewy, Spicy, Crispy, Sweet: 15 Cookies for Fall
As I sit here writing this, I am listening to a torrent of rain wash down the street. The leaves on the tree outside the window are turning rust-red at the edges, and I feel suddenly in need of a cup of tea. Autumn has officially begun, as of last Friday, and while I know that many of you are still waiting for cooler temperatures, let’s celebrate fall with a batch of cookies.
I think of fall as cookie time, especially for the cookies I like best. It isn’t time yet for the delicate, labor-intensive cookies of Christmas. It is, however, time for hearty peanut butter cookies after school, and for big plates of chewy molasses cookies set out for harvest parties. It’s time for a spicy shortbread cookie after dinner with a glass of sweet wine, and for a corner of a bar cookie with a cup of tea as a cheery pick-me-up in the middle of a long work day.
We have those sorts of cookies for you here today: 15 favorites that don’t take too much work — cookies that will please a crowd.
We have two sorts of molasses cookies, and some life-changing vegan jam thumbprints. There are little nests of oats and peanut butter, with a dollop of fudge baked on top, and feather-light cookies flavored with Earl Grey tea. There are chewy bars topped dulce de leche, extra-soft snickerdoodles, and cookies with chunks of apple and Gouda inside. Which is your favorite?
• 1 Chewy Molasses Cookies with Crunchy Lemon Glaze – Chewy cookies, with a pleasantly rough and crunchy lemon glaze.
• 2 Earl Grey Tea Cookies – Quick icebox cookies that are blended up in the food processor.
• 3 Molasses Spice Cookies with Orange Sugar – Crispier molasses cookies with pretty orange sugar on top.
• 4 Super-Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies – I love snickerdoodles that are really, really chewy.
• 5 Spiced Mexican Wedding Cookies – Mexican wedding cookies? Hungarian wedding cookies? We’re heard so many names for these — who knows where they came from; we just know we like them.
• 6 Apple Gouda Oatmeal Cookies – Sweet and savory, crumbly and chewy, these cookies are a great snack or even breakfast.
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
• 12 Peanut Butter and Fudge Oatmeal Cookies – Peanut butter cookies with a big spoonful of fudge on top.
• 13 Husband-Winning Peanut Butter Cookies – The best peanut butter cookies ever? Perhaps!
• 14 Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster Cookies – More oaty goodness. If you use gluten-free oats these are also gluten-free.
• 15 The No-Flour, No-Butter Peanut Butter Cookies – No flour? No butter? These cookies are still so good!
What’s your favorite cookie for fall?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)