We’re On a Mission to Taste Every Celebrity Liquor. Here’s How It’s Going.
A recent delivery to our office of rum — made by the one and only Kenny Chesney — has inspired us to have an official celebrity spirit tasting by a panel of The Kitchn’s finest! Once we gather enough celebrity-signed liquors, we will let you know which celeb makes a good drink, and who shouldn’t quit their day job. Know of a liquor with celebrity ties? Send it our way so we can give it our official review.
And, while we are waiting for the spirits to flow in, we decided to throw a Celebrity Spirit Happy Hour here at our NYC office! Read on to see what drinks we served and how they measured up in terms of star power…
Celebrity wines and spirits served:
- Francis Coppola – Coppola Chardonnay
- Drew Barrymore – Barrymore Pinot Grigio
- Dave Matthews – Dreaming Tree Crush
- Fergie – Voli Vodka
- Dan Aykroyd – Crystal Head Vodka
- George Clooney – Casamigos Tequila
- Sammy Hagar of Van Halen – Cabo Wabo Tequila
- Kenny Chesney – Blue Chair Bay Rums (White, Coconut, and Spiced Coconut)
- Pharrell Williams – Qream Peach Liquore
- Marilyn Manson – Mansinthe Absinthe
And now for the drinks:
1-3. We started out light and easy with a few wines. No need to rush straight to the absinthe! Francis Coppola’s Chardonnay was pretty good, and Dave Matthews’ Crush was passable. But when it came to Drew Barrymore’s Pinot G… Drew baby, put down the bottle and step away from the barrel. Please. The world is begging you.
4. Next up was Fergie’s low-cal Voli Vodka which we mixed with light cranberry juice and club soda. Not too bad, but who really wants to count calories at happy hour?
5-6. Dan Aykroyd’s Crystal Head vodka was mixed to make lemon drop shots (we should have skipped those) and a delicious Berry Basil Spritz, which turned out to be the BEST drink of the night. One part vodka, one part pomegranate juice, one part prosecco and a sprig of basil — there’s nothing in there that we don’t like.
7. George Clooney’s Casamigos we mixed into a basic margarita. Mmm. His tequila tastes as good as he looks.
8. Sammy Hagar’s Cabo Wabo we served as a shot. Not the best tequila shot of our lives, but this was drink #8 (hey, they were tiny!) so I don’t think we minded.
9-11. Kenny Chesney’s Blue Chair Bay rums were surprisingly good. We served the white rum with pineapple juice and club soda, the coconut rum with good old Coke, and the spiced coconut with Red Bull. Blue Chair Bay had a lot of suggested recipes on their site with names like Wet Money, Shooting Star, and Pirate Flag to really get us in the beachy mood.
12. Pharrell’s Qream was much tastier and less sketchy than it looked, though we still aren’t sure how they got the creamy texture without using any milk products. It was hard to track down and looks like it may be discontinued, but at least we all know what he was hiding under that hat: a bottle of Qream.
13. Last but not least: Marilyn Manson’s Mansinthe Absinthe. Considering the only other time I had absinthe was when I studied abroad in the Netherlands, I couldn’t remember if I was going to like it. Turns out, it’s delicious. We served it like it should be served: with cold water poured over a sugar cube. Add flaming shots and melting cups and you have yourself a party. It was a perfect way to end the night with a bang.
Keep an eye out for our official Celebrity Spirit reviews,and if you know of a liquor with celebrity ties, send it to our official taste tester Ariel.