Over brunch the other day, a friend told me he was feeling the urge to bake something fall-inspired, maybe involving pumpkin, but absolutely not pie! My first suggestion was a classic pumpkin bread, and I promised to send him a recipe later. But it got me thinking — there are so many ways to bake with pumpkin that fill our fall cravings without having to make (and eat!) a whole pumpkin pie.
Here are 20 of my favorite ways to bake with canned pumpkin right now.
Cookies and Bars
One of the things I love most about cookies and bars is that they can be made and frozen in batches. This is especially helpful if you want to get a head-start on baking for the holidays. You can enjoy a few cookies now and freeze the rest for later in the season.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Slab Pie
- Frozen 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Pumpkin Bites
- Pumpkin Magic Cake
- Soft and Easy (Lofthouse-Style) Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No-Bake Gluten-Free and Vegan Chai-Spiced Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
Muffins and Breads
That pumpkin loaf I suggested to my friend is a quick bread that's perfect for toasting and slathering with butter to enjoy next to a hot cup of coffee while the weather is cool. But don' stop there! Crumb cakes and muffins also fit the bill.
- Pumpkin Muffins with Eggnog Cream Cheese Swirl
- Pumpkin Crumb Cakes
- How To Make Perfect Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
- No-Knead Cran-Walnut Pumpkin Toasting Bread
Breakfasts, Cakes, and More
French toast is just one of the places that canned pumpkin can shine outside of pie. Oh, and there's pumpkin cheesecake, Bundt cake, and dessert lasagna to boot!