If you are, like me, a fan of the Canal House Cooks Lunch email series, then you will be relieved and thrilled to know that (at last!) the recipes are now available for all those delightful and delicious-looking dishes that pop up in our inbox every Mon-Fri this past year. For Canal House Cooks Every Day, the latest book by Christopher Hirsheimer and Melissa Hamilton, is just that: a beautiful, 384-page book that is mostly based on the emailed dishes, only this time we get the recipes, too! If you're not familiar with their emails or Canal House Cooking, then you're in for a real treat when you discover them through this lovely volume of over 250 recipes.
• Who wrote it: Christopher Hirsheimer and Melissa Hamilton
• Who published it: Andrews McMeel
• Recipes and projects for right now: Vin Santo-Roasted Pears; Cauliflower with Bread Crumbs, Pancetta and Prunes; Chicken Roasted Over Potatoes and Lemon; Ginger Spice Cake with Dried Cherries; Pork Stew with Guajillo Chile Mole.
• Recommended? Yes! This books is beautiful and a pleasure to browse, but it will equally find its place on your kitchen counter, propped open to favorite recipes that you will find yourself returning to again and again. The occasional splatter or spill will only add to it's beauty and authenticity.
• Other highlights: Canal House Cooks Every Day is beautifully designed, with a deep red cloth cover that is embossed in metallic gold and blue. Its pages are thick and semi-glossy, and can be marked with a sky-blue grosgrain ribbon that's attached to the binding. Speaking of which, the binding is sturdy and allows the pages to fall flat, making it easy to prop open on your kitchen counter. The photographs by Christopher Hirsheimer, as can be expected, are beautiful and the occasional illustrations by Melissa Hamilton are lovely as well.
But a beautiful cookbook isn't worth its weight if it doesn't give us decent, delicious, well-written and well-tested recipes, and Canal House Cooks Every Day does not fail us here. The book is arranged by season and then months within that season, which is how many of us are cooking these days. It's a delight to just open it up to November and discover what's possible for right now. There's also a recipe index in the front if you want to easily explore the book by categories and a more thorough index in the back.
• Who would enjoy this book? Anyone who loves to cook, quite honestly.
→ Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Canal House Cooks Every Day by Christopher Hirsheimer and Melissa Hamilton (Andrews McMeel Publishing, October 2012)
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.