Cacao nibs are the perfect addition to most morning recipes because they're not too sweet and add a complexity difficult to achieve with other more common flavors like maple syrup, nuts or fresh fruit. Here are a few tips to get you started on cacao nibs in the morning.
We wrote about cacao nibs a few months back, noting that they're essentially unprocessed chocolate that is the result of roasted cacao beans that are separated into the husks, the nibs, and the germs: "The husks and the germs are used for other things, but the nibs will be ground up and made into the chocolate we know and love. Unless, of course, they are packaged as is and delivered to our cupboards."
Cacao nibs are wonderful in everything from hot cereals to pancakes and smoothies, so we gathered a few recipes from around the web to share with you. Some are decidedly simple while others are more of a Sunday morning affair. Regardless, inspiration abounds.
Try a Recipe:
• Coconut and Cacao Nib Pancakes - The Healthy Foodie
• Banana Coffee Muffins with Cacao Nibs and Oatmeal - The Vanilla Bean Blog
• Tropical Fruit Salad with Cacao Nibs - CHOW
• Coconut Cacao Nib Breakfast Bars - All I Dream About it Food
• Coconut Maple Granola with Cacao Nibs - In Pursuit of More
• Chocolate Coconut Breakfast Rice Pudding - Washingtonian
• Breakfast Muesli with Pecans, Hunza Raisins and Cacao Nibs - The Wishful Chef
• Cacao Nib Scones - Foodyear
• Cacao Nib Coffeecake - Not Without Salt
• Cacao Coffee Banana Smoothie - A Cozy Kitchen
(Image: The Healthy Foodie)