7 Saucy Baked Egg Recipes
A messy, saucy dish of slightly runny eggs can really get a lazy morning started right. With a hunk of your favorite crusty bread and a cup of strong coffee, it’s simple to break away from the typical cereal, oatmeal or granola routine.
I started researching different baked egg dishes after I began making Shakshuka (pictured) at home more and more for weekend brunch. If you’ve never had Shakshuka, it’s a staple in Middle Eastern, Moroccan and Israeli cultures. It’s a tomato and pepper stew that’s technically not baked but prepared on the stovetop in a skillet or cast-iron pan. It’s simple, savory, messy, and wonderfully satisfying at any time of day.
Baked egg recipes are even more hands-off and often only require a quick saute of onion and tomato, a crack of the egg, and off they go in the oven. For this reason, many of the recipes below could be easily prepared on a weekday and a few you’d likely want to reserve for weekends with a little more leisure time. There’s a little something for everyone, from bacon lovers to portobello mushroom fans:
Try a Recipe:
• Herbed Baked Eggs – Ina Garten
• Arugula and Chive Baked Egg Cups – Good Life Eats
• Baked Eggs with Spinach and Bacon – Epicurious
• Skillet Baked Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt and Chili Oil– Bon Appetit
• Baked Eggs in Tomatoes – Martha Stewart
• Mexican Baked Eggs – Closet Cooking
• Baked Eggs and Herbs in Mushroom Caps – Poor Girl Eats Well
Related: Soft and Pretty: Eggs en Cocotte
(Image: Megan Gordon)