Beyond Roasting: 10 Must-Try Parsnip Recipes
When root vegetables are heaped up on farmers market tables, we simply can’t help ourselves. Roasting beets, carrots, and small colorful potatoes is a simple complement to any evening meal. But we find that parsnips often get the short end of the stick. Here are a few fresh ways to enjoy them.
The reality is: there’s so much you can do with parsnips that goes far beyond simply roasting them. And now is the time to start thinking about recipes you’d like to try as parsnips usually start popping up around mid to late fall largely because they require a burst of cold weather to allow their sugars to develop. When shopping for parsnips, choose a bunch that are firm; the smaller ones will have the most flavor.
From Around the Web:
• Creamed Spinach and Parsnips – Food and Wine
• Autumn Potato Salad – 101 Cookbooks
• Parsnip Pierogi with Pickled Red Cabbage and Sauteed Apples – Martha Stewart
• Spiced Parsnip and Tomato Soup – Real Epicurean
• Savory Parsnips Saute – Willie Green’s Organic Farm
• Parsnip and Chorizo Cake – Chocolate and Zucchini
(Image: Clay Irving via flickr)