Beyond Arborio Rice: 7 Risotto Recipes Made with Whole Grains
Arborio rice is the go-to choice for risotto as it has a high gluten content and makes for a creamy, hearty rice dish. But when you’re ready to introduce more whole-grains into your diet, there are a wide range of options that work perfectly in risotto recipes, and are just as rich and creamy!
I began making barley risotto about six months ago when I realized that barley cooks up so creamy. I found it extremely satisfying and filling, and now I don’t miss the white rice at all. In fact, I quite like the combination of soft and creamy yet chewy and toothsome. So I started experimenting with many of my favorite whole-grains and now rarely use arborio rice at all. From barley, farro, or even oats, whole-grain risotto might just be your new favorite side dish.
Try a Recipe:
• Brown Rice Risotto with Winter Squash – The New York Times
• Barley Risotto with Beans and Greens – Smitten Kitchen
• Whole-Grain Risotto with Kale – Rachel Cooks
• Meyer Lemon Risotto (with Barley) – 101 Cookbooks
• Spicy Squash Risotto with Brown Rice – Greens and Seeds
• Oat Risotto with Peas and Pecorino – The Bitten Word
• Buckwheat Risotto with Goat Cheese – Whole Grains Council
Related: Farro Risotto with Corn and Tomatoes