It's hard to pick up a one-size-fits-all host gift (although we have ideas for some of the VIPs), but this just might be the one thing that can be your go-to for all those upcoming holiday parties: paper coasters. Not too expensive, generally useful, and in that space between disposable and reusable where the recipient can enjoy them for a while, then toss them without guilt when they're worn out. And especially when hosting a crowd, one can never have too many coasters — people put drinks just about everywhere, and the more visible and available coasters are, the better chance your host has of avoiding water spots and wine droplets on, say, the fireplace mantel.
As we head into holiday season, I plan to stock up on some of these for in-a-pinch hostess gifts. They're all around $15 each (or less!).
1. Rifle Paper Herb Garden Paper Coasters, $15 for eight
There's not a single pattern that Rifle Paper Co. puts out that I'm not totally obsessed with. The brand's designs are super flowery without being old-fashioned.
2. Easy, Tiger Drinks Are on Me Coasters, $16 for eight
Not only are these coasters metallic and festive for all things holiday, but they're also a little cheeky. Get it? "Drinks are on me!" Because it's a coaster!
3. Letterpress Cocktail Coasters, $12 for six at blackbirdletterpress
The perfect gift for the cocktail-obsessed or the indecisive! This set comes in a cute little box with six coasters and a special bonus one with a metal spinning arrow. What to drink? Spin the wheel and it'll pick from eight cocktail recipes (a margarita, a mint julep, etc!).
4. Yay Letterpress Coasters, $12 for 10 at IronLeafPress
Yay! Need I say more?
5. Letterpress Drinking Coasters, $10 for eight at kyliemeiserdesign
Five of the coasters in this set are emblazoned with quotes from famous booze-lovers from the 1900s (Ernest Hemingway, Frank Sinatra, and more). The other three in the set have a fun, hand-illustrated pattern.
6. City Letterpress Coasters, $10 for 10 at ruffhouseart
7. Inspiring Women Coasters, $8 for four at Blackbird Letterpress
Get these for your feminist friend. Each coaster features a different strong woman from history: Susan B. Anthony, Shirley Chisholm, Ida B. Wells Barnett, and Alice Paul.
8. Cheers Coasters, $10 for 10 at TripleThreatPress
Because beer drinkers need coasters, too. This is a stylish way to catch beer bottle sweat.
9. Brandless Coasters, $3 for 18 at Brandless
10. Paper Pizza Coasters, $6 for eight at World Market
Certainly not formal, but definitely useful, these playful coasters will make a host smile. Get them for anyone who loves to order a late-night pizza.