20 Recipes for People Who Are Obsessed with Mushrooms
I believe I survived my years as a vegetarian because of mushrooms. Their sturdy texture and hefty flavor were such an easy substitute for meat, whether in burgers or on pasta, that I quickly became obsessed with them.
As I changed my ways and became an omnivore, my love for mushrooms came right along with me. They still act as a swap-in when I am looking for vegetable-filled meals that lose the meat, but now they also join harmoniously with steak or chicken when it happens to be on my plate.
Here are 20 recipes that celebrate ‘shrooms.
Side Dishes and Soups
There’s really no better side dish than a pile of mushrooms sautéed with lots of herbs and butter. Mushrooms also make for seriously dreamy soups, since their deep, earthy flavor makes them taste a whole lot more exciting than simply a bowl of broth.
Vegetarian Main Dishes
Perhaps mushrooms’ best known persona is as a vegetarian mainstay. Since they’re so meaty, they really can mimic the flavor and satisfaction of actual meat. Let them bulk up pasta, dumplings, tacos, and more.
- Herbed Gnocchi and Mushrooms
- Baked Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onions
- Roasted Mushroom and Poblano Tacos
- Meaty Mushroom Lasagna
- Miso-Buttered Mushrooms & Noodles
- Mixed Mushroom and Goat Cheese Popover Bake
- Smoky Portobello Mushroom Cheeseburgers
- Cheesy Pizza Portobello Mushrooms
- Mushroom and Garlic Spaghetti Dinner
- Onion and Mushroom Tart
- Freezer-Friendly Shiitake Mushroom & Tofu Potstickers
Meaty Mushroom Dinners
What if you still want meat with your mushrooms? Well that’s actually a great idea, since together they’re one powerhouse of umami flavor. Steak and mushrooms are a classic combo, but don’t forget about chicken and ground beef, too.