10 Grocery Shortcuts That Will Turn Your Rotisserie Chicken into a Full Meal
Rotisserie chickens are among the best buys in the grocery store. How else can you serve hot and juicy roasted chicken without spending any time in the kitchen? The trick to including this deli-fresh chicken in your meal plan is to pick up sides at the same time. Luckily, supermarkets are packed with smart shortcuts that make getting dinner on the table the easiest task on your to-do list. Here are the 10 best groceries to complete that rotisserie chicken dinner.
1. Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes, $4.19 for 24 ounces
What’s a more fitting pairing for roast chicken dinner than mashed potatoes? These refrigerated taters are simple to serve, with no peeling, boiling, or mashing required. You can stir in a clove of minced garlic or a handful of shredded cheddar cheese, but it’s not required; these mashed potatoes taste homemade straight from the package.
2. Vigo Marinated Hearts of Palm & Artichokes, $3.19 for 12 ounces
After a late lunch or after-work appetizers, I need dinner that’s light and easy. Toss shredded rotisserie chicken with canned hearts of palm and tender artichoke hearts for a two-ingredient antipasto-ish salad.
3. Birds Eye Southland Butternut Squash, $2.79 for 12 ounces
Frozen mashed butternut squash makes it simple to serve winter squash on a weeknight with rotisserie chicken from the deli. Add a pat of butter and flaky salt to the hot squash or spice it up with minced chipotle chiles.
4. Ore-Ida Zesty Curly Fries, $3.75 for 28 ounces
5. Pero Family Farms Organic Vegetable Slaw, $3.99 for 10 ounces
6. Rao’s Four Cheese Pasta Bake, $12.99 for 25 ounces
We love Rao’s pasta sauces and soups, and their frozen meatballs are a staple in our freezers. With all of those favorites, there was no hesitation when we spotted this side dish in the freezer aisle. While boxed mac and cheese is always an option, if you’re looking for something that tastes closer to homemade, this cheesy pasta bake is for you.
7. Savannah Classics Broccoli Rice & Cheese Casserole, $7.89 for 32 ounces
Nothing says comfort food quite like a casserole. This frozen side dish is almost a complete meal with creamy cheese, tender broccoli, and rice. Add your rotisserie chicken and you’ve got dinner.
8. Taylor Farms Teriyaki Veggies and Sauce Stir Fry Kit, $3.99 for 12.5 ounces
Do you love quick-cooking stir-fries for busy weeknights, but hate all the prep? This stir-fry kit has the veggies you need and the sauce you want. It needs only shredded rotisserie chicken at the end.
9. A Dozen Cousins Classic Refried Pinto Beans, $.399 for 10 ounces
10. Maya Kaimal Turmeric & Cumin Surekha Rice, $3.49 for 8.5 ounces
What are your favorite sides to serve with rotisserie chicken? Share you picks in the comments below.