Having a baby often makes you rethink the cleaning products you've been using — and also makes you suddenly aware of a whole host of things you haven't been cleaning that you now want to have germ-free. Add to that baby's super-sensitive skin and quite a few gadgets you didn't have before, and it turns out new moms need a ton of new cleaning products.
With that said, here are the cleaning supplies my friends and I bought and loved when we became new moms. You obviously don't need to buy them all — my hope is just that you'll find a thing (or three!) that work for you.
- Dapple Baby Bottle and Dish Liquid, $5 for 16.9 ounces: Great for safely cleaning milk bottles.
- OXO Tot Bottle Brush with Nipple Cleaner and Stand, $7: You're gonna need help getting inside all those nooks and crannies of bottles, nipples, and more. This set was suggested again and again by my mom friends. And I swear by it, too.
- Babyganics Toy & High Chair Cleaner, $13 for two 17-ounce bottles: This gentle cleaner is good for those surfaces your child is going to eat off of or put in her mouth.
- Mrs. Meyers All-Purpose Cleaner, $11 for three 16-ounce bottles: A crowd favorite for gently cleaning most surfaces.
- Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multisurface Cleaner, $3 for 26 ounces: New moms told me they loved this time-saver, especially when someone in the house was sick, because they didn't need to rinse or wipe surfaces after using it.
- Quick Clean Breast Milk Removal Soap, $8 for six ounces at Medela: If you're pumping at home or work, this is a great option to get the parts clean. It lacks any sort of added fragrance or taste that might linger and discourage baby from breastfeeding.
- OxiClean Max Force Gel Stick, $10 for 6.2 ounces: This is the only thing I found that worked for for spit-up, poop, and food stains.
- Dreft Laundry Detergent, $19 for two 50-ounce bottles: This is the number-one switch my mom friends made. But quite a few switched over to Tide Free & Gentle after the earliest stages.
- Babyganics Hand Sanitizing Wipes, $15 for three packs of 20: On the go, these are good for cleaning up a messy baby (or mom) or quickly disinfecting hands before a feeding.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, $10 for eight: Once your kid is old enough to grip a crayon, you will understand why you need these. Hint: They can get crayon marks off walls!
- Folex Carpet Spot Remover, $12 for 32 ounces: Because spit-up and diaper explosions happen just about everywhere.
- Better Life Hardwood Floor Cleaner, $20 for two 32-ounce bottles: Once your kid starts crawling, you realize how filthy your floors are — and rethink what you've been using to clean them before.
What about you — what products did you swear by as a new parent?