Best Backpack Snacks: Trail Mix
Trail mix is the undisputed king of outdoor snacks! Whether you’re hiking the Appalachians or just going to a nearby park for some time in the sun, a bag of trail mix in your backpack is insurance against low-blood sugar. What’s your favorite mix?
We like trail mixes with a nice balance of salty, sweet, and sour, and we usually keep it simple with just a few ingredients. Pretzels and nuts take care of the salty, M&M’s (which won’t melt all over everything) are the sweet, and dried fruit rounds out the sour. A handful of each (and an extra handful of nuts for good measure), and we’re happy hikers!
Here are some of our favorite mixes, all with a combination of about 1 cup nuts or pretzels and 1/2 cup each of chocolate and fruit:
• Almonds, dark chocolate M&M’s, and dried cherries
• Pecans, maple granola, dark chocolate M&M’s, and dried apples
• Popcorn, regular or peanut M&M’s, and dried cranberries
• Peanuts, small pretzels, regular M&M’s, and raisins
• Macadamia nuts, cashews, dark chocolate M&M’s, dried papaya, and dried mango.
Please share your own recipe for perfect trail mix!