Before & After: A Bright $387 Kitchen Makeover
We love a good budget makeover, and this $387 remodel we found on Hometalk is no exception. Catherine and Bryan moved into their home and knew they wanted to update the kitchen, but kept putting it off for fear of just how much it would cost. Luckily they found an inexpensive solution that enabled them to spruce up their kitchen.
What a lovely update! It’s amazing what a few cans of paint and some new tile on the backsplash can do.
Catherine noted there are still other things they would like to upgrade in their kitchen, but we think this refresh is a perfect first step. Let’s take a look at the cabinets first.
Before, they were our favorite — builder basic, that honey-colored wood that so many rentals and homes have. They also were lacking hardware, which added to the plainness of the kitchen.
By painting the cabinets white and adding knobs and pulls to the drawers and doors, Catherine and Bryan gave the kitchen a much fresher feel. Here’s a breakdown of their supplies and costs for updating the cabinets.
- 1 gallon of Valspar Ultra White: $23
- 2 foam rollers (2″ and 6″) & paint trays: $10
- 2 cans of white, oil-based primer: $12
- 13 chrome knobs for upper cabinets: $24
- 12 chrome handles for base cabinets: $42
- 1 paint brush: $2
- Tarp: already owned
- Drill/screwdriver for removing cabinet doors: already owned
Total cost: $113
The other major update the couple made was to add a mosaic tile backsplash to the kitchen. It wasn’t something they’d planned to do, but when they found the tile they liked on sale for half-off at a local store, they jumped on the project. Here’s a breakdown of what they spent:
- 36 sq. ft. of marble mosaic tile: $204.50
- Tile adhesive: $13
- 1/4-inch trowel: – $3
- 1/2 gallon of white premixed grout: $17
- Grout sponge with haze remover: $2.50
- 9×4 rubber grout float: $4
Total cost: $244
Great job on the update, Catherine and Bryan! You can see more of their kitchen makeover on their blog, Beginning in the Middle.
Have a remodel or a DIY project to share with us?
Submit it here!