Beans For Breakfast: 6 Hearty Recipes
One of my new eating habits this year is to get more protein at breakfast, which makes a big difference in my energy level throughout the day. As a vegetarian, my preferred source for protein is beans, and there are so many varieties, including heirlooms, that it never gets boring! Here are some recipes I enjoy or want to try. Do you have any favorite ways to eat beans for breakfast?
We always keep a couple cans of beans in the pantry but ideally make beans from scratch – they’re so much more delicious (and less wasteful) that way! If you’re new to cooking beans, don’t worry, it’s really not difficult; check out our posts on How To Cook Beans, A Fast, Foolproof, No-Soak Method, How to Cook Beans in the Slow Cooker, and Cooking Beans in a Clay Pot. I like to cook up a pot the night before or on Sunday so we have plenty for the week ahead.
• Bean Chilaquiles – A hearty meal made with tortillas, pinto-type beans, eggs, and salsa
• Breakfast Burrito – I like mine with black beans and leftover brown rice and vegetables from the night before
• Baked Beans On Toast – A British favorite, served with a drizzle of malt vinegar
• Tofu Scramble – To this recipe or any other tofu scramble, add some cooked beans such as black or pinto
• Ful Medammes – An Egyptian and Arabic breakfast made from fava beans, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice, and served with pita bread
• Chè Đậu Xanh – To make this Vietnamese dessert soup healthier for breakfast, I increase the mung beans and decrease the sugar; it’s also good with grated ginger
(Image: Faith Durand)