Baking Tools: Pullman Loaf Pan

published Jun 24, 2010
We independently select these products—if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission. All prices were accurate at the time of publishing.
Post Image
(Image credit: Apartment Therapy)


Pyrex baking tube

Aside from being perfectly symmetrical, loaves baked in these kinds of pans have a very thin crust and a soft, finely-textured crumb. In fact, these loaves are called pain de mie in French, which literally means “bread of the crumb.” These loaves are perfect for sandwiches.

Many pumpernickel bread recipes also call for using a Pullman pan. It helps to get that dense, chewy crumb and to keep the loaf from drying out during the traditionally long baking time.

Pullman pans can be found at most any well-stocked kitchen supply store. You can also order them online:

Pain de Mie (Pullman) Pan and Lid, $35.95 from King Arthur Flour
Pullman Loaf Pan and Lid, purchased separately for $25 and $16 from Sur La Table

What have you baked in your Pullman pan?