Straight up macaroni and cheese is seriously good all on its own, no matter how you make it. But this is also one of those magical dishes that only seems to get better as you start adding things in. Here are six of our favorite mix-ins. What are yours?
1. Bacon - Yes, everything really is better with bacon.
2. Roasted Butternut Squash - This works well with a sharp cheese to contrast the sweetness of the squash.
3. Ham and Peas - A childhood classic. We'll still eat it any day of the week.
4. BBQ Pulled Pork - We already love our BBQ with a side of mac n' cheese. Combining them deliberately is a match made in heaven.
5. Black Beans, Sweet Corn, and Salsa - This spicy southwestern version is especially good made with smoked cheddar.
6. Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms, and Fresh Herbs - Fancy! We sauté the mushrooms until they're completely golden for extra-savory flavor.
What are your favorite things to mix in to a bowl of macaroni and cheese?
Related: More Ways to Use BBQ Sauce Every Day