Armchair Traveling: 7 Dishes for a Moroccan Dinner Party
Cumin, cinnamon, mint, and lemon: these are the flavors we most strongly associate with Moroccan cuisine. When you start thinking of these spices in terms of nutty pilafs and rich tagines, a Moroccan-themed dinner party practically writes itself.
• Cooked Wild Greens Salad from Saveur – Cumin and lemon transform this dish of simple steamed greens.
• Moroccan Baby Carrot Salad from 101 Cookbooks – A classic sweet-savory side dish.
• Squash and Chickpea Moroccan Stew from Smitten Kitchen – With slivered almonds, preserved lemons, and green olives, oh my!
• Lamb Tagine with Prunes and Cinnamon from Gourmet – Slow-cooked until the meat practically melts into the sauce.
• Shrimp and Vegetable Tagine with Preserved Lemon from Food & Wine – Ginger and sweet paprika give this dish a kick.
• Yogurt Cake from Epicurious – A simple dessert is just the ticket after such a rich meal.
• Almond Pastries in Honey Syrup from Leite’s Culinaria – Then again, you can’t go wrong with sweet and crunchy.
What Moroccan dishes do you love?
Related: Word of Mouth: Tagine
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)