Oprah Winfrey and I have very little in common. She is a wildly successful multimedia mogul, with an estimated worth of $2.7 billion dollars. Meanwhile, I quietly applaud myself if I can use a washing machine without incident, and had to use a credit card for my last McFlurry purchase.
The one thing we have in common, though, is bread. A couple of years ago, she did that oddly passionate Weight Watchers commercial where she stared directly into the camera and said "I LOVE BREAD." I do too, Oprah!
I'd imagine that Oprah has access to an exclusive bakery that produces the World's Best Breads, but until she invites me over for carbs and a long talk about being our best selves, I have to pick up my own — at Aldi.
And that's fine because regardless of what Oprah is serving, it would be hard to beat the Specially Selected Chocolate Chip Brioche from Aldi. It has all the things you could possibly want from a bread — plus chocolate chips. Actually, lots of the breads at Aldi are great.
Here are five of the best carb options you can snag on your next Aldi run. Tip: You're going to want all of them, so remember to take a big shopping bag with you.
- L'oven Fresh White Bread, $0.89: This is, hands-down, the best value bread you can buy. My boyfriend describes it as "peanut butter bread" because, once you've had a PB&J made with two slices, you'll abandon whatever you used to keep in the bread drawer. It's also less than a dollar which, come on, how do you beat that?
- Specially Selected French Baguette, $1.69: You wouldn't imagine that a German grocery store chain could rival a French bakery, but here we are. This baguette works well on its own, toasted to accompany a creamy tomato soup, topped with an olive tapenade, or drizzled with olive oil and served with a salad.
- Fit & Active 45 Calorie Multigrain Wheat Bread, $1.79: Sometimes when bread makers strip the calories out of their products, they also lose some of the taste. Not so with the Fit & Active bread, which really does have a wonderful whole-grain flavor. This is perfect for cucumber sandwiches, which is not a phrase that 20-year-old me ever expected that 30-something me would type.
- Specially Selected Brioche Buns, $2.29: These buns were the winner of Aldi's Best New Product of the Year award last year — with good reason. Last weekend I seriously considered engraving a trophy for myself after I got the idea to use them for breakfast sandwiches. (I lost the right to the trophy when I ate three buns straight out of the bag.)
- Specially Selected Sourdough Square, $2.89: Finding the right kind of sourdough can be tricky, because it has to have that flavor, you know? This loaf is exactly what you want for a patty melt — and it's great toasted with butter too. (I'm not crazy about sourdough on sandwiches, but I'm willing to let this loaf change my mind.)
While you're there, don't forget to grab some Chocolate Chip Brioche ($3.89), too. You know, just in case Oprah comes to your house.
Do you have other favorite breads at Aldi? Tell us about them in the comments below!