A Guide to IKEA’s New SEKTION Kitchen Cabinets! We’ve Got Sizes, Prices, and Photos
As we wrote a few months ago, IKEA is retiring their AKURUM cabinet system and replacing it with SEKTION, a more modular system that promises to be even easier to work with and customize.
At the time we wrote that post, we hadn’t yet seen the new system in action, but that was then, and this is now, and now we have all the details, pricing info on sample kitchens, and plenty of photos ahead of the official February 2 launch.
What’s New With IKEA’s SEKTION Kitchen System
- Everything! The line includes new doors, drawers, frames, hinges, and fittings — it’s a full-on redesign. AKURUM is out. SEKTION is in.
- A modular design: SEKTION is designed to be easier to install, more functional, and totally customizable. Regardless of the cabinet box size, all boxes can be stacked vertically and fit next to each other. For installation, a new suspension rail means one can simply attach the rail to the wall, hang the cabinets and lock them in place. (“So easy one person can do it!” IKEA says.)
- Drawers within drawers: More storage options that still keep the overall look streamlined.
- Better interior organizers: So there’s a place for everything and everything’s in its place.
- Integrated LED lighting: Corner modules, electrical and USB outlets, remote control dimming and in-drawer lighting all work seamlessly with SEKTION.
- A new online planner tool: Also launching on February 2 is a new planner tool to make it easy to put together cabinets in almost any configuration you can dream up.
SEKTION Cabinet Sizing
Cabinets: Available in four heights — 15, 20, 30 and 40 inches — and two depths — 15 and 24 inches.
Note that the 15-inch depth increased from AKURUM’s 12-inch depth, so there’s even more storage space now.
Door Fronts and Drawers: Available drawer heights range from 5 to 60 inches, and come in at two price points depending on their features. Door fronts and drawers can be put anywhere in the system and in any configuration. For example, you can choose to have one larger door front cover multiple drawers.
SEKTION Finishes and Design Elements
The cabinets are available in both brown and white finishes. A few of the new names to be aware of include:
- LAXARBY (black-brown) doors
- HAGGEBY (white) doors
- FORHOJA open wall cabinets
- BODBYN (gray w/glass) doors
- BODBYN (off white) doors
- BROKHULT (light gray with walnut effect) doors
- GREVSTA (stainless steel) drawer fronts
- TINGSRYD (black wood effect) doors
- BJORKET (birch) doors
- HORDA open wall cabinets
So, what’s a 10×10′ kitchen going to cost me?
Since every kitchen is customizable, the exact price is going to vary. However, IKEA has provided a few examples — shown in the slideshow — of 10’x10′ kitchen setups to give us a ballpark price. The prices shown include cabinets, fronts, drawers, interior shelving, hinges, toe kicks, legs, and cover panels. (Countertops, sinks, faucets, knobs and handles, appliances and lighting are sold separately.)
The prices range (click prices to see the kitchens in the slideshow):
Have you installed an AKURUM kitchen recently? How do these prices compare to what you bought?
See our experience with AKURUM: Faith’s Kitchen Renovation: 5 Things We Learned While Buying an IKEA Kitchen
SEKTION Goes on Sale February 2
SEKTION goes on sale in North America February 2, 2015. Are you planning to install SEKTION in your kitchen this year?