9 DIY Cleaners for a Healthier Kitchen
Part of me always hates buying cleaning supplies. Yes, I love having a clean kitchen, but I always feel like spending so much on a kitchen cleaner is a waste of money. That’s when I get back into the habit of making my own kitchen cleaners; I generally have most of the necessary ingredients on hand, and it only takes a few minutes to whip one up.
If you’re in the mood to go DIY (which can also be more eco- and pet- or kid-friendly) here are nine easy cleaner “recipes” to try.
- Homemade Furniture Polish – PopSugar: Okay, technically this one will help you out in the dining room, but the right mixture of olive oil, white vinegar, and lemon juice will give your dining table a brilliant shine.
- Bandits Oil Disinfecting Spray – Live Simply: It has a funny name, yes, but it gets its cleaning power from an essential oil blend with plenty of disinfecting ingredients.
- Lavender Dish Soap – Hello Natural: Dish soap isn’t complicated. Start with Castile soap and add a few other cleaners, plus your preferred scent, to really cut the grease on your pots and pans.
- All-Natural Kitchen Cleaner – The Kitchn: White vinegar and tea tree oil provide the cleaning power in this all-purpose spray. Then you can add any scent you like.
- Homemade Fruit & Vegetable Wash – PopSugar: If you end up with fruits and veggies that have a waxy coating on them, you’ll want to make sure they are truly clean. Luckily, vinegar comes to the rescue, yet again.
- Glass Cleaner – Gardenista: Don’t be worried that this glass cleaner is cloudy. The secret ingredient is baking soda, and it will give your kitchen windows and oven door a streak-free shine.
- Citrus Peel All-Purpose Cleaner – The Kitchn: When citrus is in season, we love this simple cleanser that will make your kitchen smell like an orange grove.
- Dishwasher Cleaner – PopSugar: When your dishwasher needs a deep clean, pop in one of these homemade tablets. The baking soda and hydrogen peroxide will leave it spotless. We recommend using lemon oil for a fresh scent, too.
- Homemade Liquid Hand Soap – Live Simply: This hand soap goes beyond the basics by adding vitamin E and sweet almond oils to basic Castile soap. And as always, you can choose your favorite scent to add in.