A Touch of Sweetness: 8 Savory, Seasonal Recipes With Maple Syrup
The flavor of maple syrup is more than simple sweetness, which may be why it works so well in savory recipes, especially the kinds of recipes we start dreaming about at this time of year: crisp-skinned roast chickens glazed with maple and lemon, shredded Brussels sprouts topped with maple-toasted nuts, and roasted root vegetables tossed with maple and sage.
When it comes to cooking with maple syrup, grade B maple syrup is the best choice, as it has a more robust flavor. Mix it into a glaze for proteins, add it to marinades or vinaigrettes, or beat it with butter to melt over cooked vegetables, rolls and yes, even pancakes.
Recipes To Try
• Master Cleanse Chicken
• Miso-Maple Sweet Potato Tacos with Coconut Cilantro Sauce
• Brown Rice Bowl with Maple-Glazed Tempeh & Tahini-Miso Dressing
• Grilled Pork Chops with Apple-Cranberry Maple Glaze at White on Rice Couple
• Salmon Steaks with Soy-Maple Glaze at Food & Wine
• Maple and Sage Roasted Turnips and Carrots at Sunday Suppers
• Green Beans with Pecans and Maple Vinaigrette at Real Simple
• Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Maple Hickory Nuts at Gourmet
Do you ever use maple syrup in savory dishes?
(Image: Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)